Me

Hello readers!
I'm an 18-year-old senior in high school, and I live in Seattle, Washington. I'm creating this blog for a project we're currently working on in my AP Government class.

In preparation for this project, my class took a multiple-choice survey that questioned us on a variety of political topics. Based on our results, we were categorized into a general political group. My results identified my perspective to align what is considered a "solidly liberal". A graph featured on my results page specifically showed where my political ideological leaning general fits on the liberal-conservative political spectrum:

I fall within the consistently left-wing, liberal sector, but also have perhaps 1-3 beliefs that aren't considered strictly left-wing and liberal. I wasn't particularly surprised with my results, because I know 95% of my political leanings are aligned with Democratic, liberal perspectives, with an occasional belief that can be considered conservative. Core values to me are social justice, and the progression of equality representing all people, especially those who have been socially and systemically marginalized by society throughout history.

A political ideology that contrasts my political ideology is conservatism, as I don't align with the beliefs that are core beliefs within conservatism. A lot of the beliefs that are most important to  I'm a person who is pro-choice, which is considered a liberal value. I believe that women should have an individualized choice whether or not they want to get an abortion, and the government should preserve this right. I believe it's wrong to sanction off and deny women a choice with what to do with conceptions and their own bodies, rather than forcing them to have a child. However, conservatives are more pro-life and believe that abortion is morally corrupt and credit abortion as the equivalent to murder of an infant. They believe life starts from the point of conception, and to terminate a pregnancy is inherently wrong, and women should keep their babies minimally through birth.
Image result for pro choice sign
Image result for pro life sign
Another thing that is important to me, is the preservation of marriage equality for all people and for gay couples to have the choice to get married if they so wish. Conversely, conservatism usually leans towards the rejection of same sex marriage, which I feel 100% oppositely of. Conservatives deem marriage as only valuable between a man and a woman, and therefore same-sex couples should not be granted mutual rights as opposite-sex couples.
Image result for anti gay marriage protest
Image result for same sex marriage conservative vs liberal


I believe my political socialization aligning with solidly liberal derives from my personal identity, and also general exposure in life I myself am a black-white (with Native American and Mexican ancestry), bisexual, and Buddhist individual. I myself am within a number of groups that have been subjected to and experienced oppression in society. The histories of my various identities have all been denied the liberty and freedoms throughout history, and I don't wish for anybody in the future to experience the same. Also, my personal experiences I've faced throughout life open me to sympathize, and easy to feel compassionate from other groups I myself am not apart of, so it's impossible for me to wish upon oppression while simultaneously advocating against my personal experiences. Also, my entire range of friends is composed entirely of people from a variety of backgrounds, stories, and identities. For policies such as same-sex marriage, as a bisexual person, I want the option and freedom to get married to whoever I please, whether or not my significant other is a man or woman. This aspect moves me away from a political leaning towards conservatism, and more on a liberal-progressive leaning.
I also deem environmentalism as an issue that needs to be more addressed by our current political leaders of the United States. I perceive the Republican leadership as a threat to furthering climate, sustainability and ecological concerns in the United States.

However, I can be considered semi-fiscally conservative. I prefer low taxation in society, which is a belief that corresponds with Republican economic ideologies, opposed to Democratic values which seek higher taxation. As a result of this, it's possible that I could be considered somewhat of a libertarian! Socially liberal and progressive, but fiscally and economically conservative. However, I don't exactly belief in all conservative values held by libertarians, so I belief I still remain largely solidly liberal.
Image result for libertarian explained

Growing up with a diverse surrounding of people who been subjected to a variety of oppression and discrimination just naturally leads me to a liberal and progressive political leaning; I ultimately want all people to be treated with equity and equality, and conservative values tend to impede this progression. Another influence is my family; ever since I was little, I've grown up with exposure to countless stories and experiences that highlight the history of marginalization. My paternal grandparents' ancestry is composed of marginalized ethnic groups of black people, Mexicans and Native Americans, groups that all face contemporary social issues as a result of historical systemic racism. Paired with my already sympathetic and compassionate nature, I begin to look for a continuous progression that steers away from the experiences and stories I've learned before. The general liberal, progressive nature of my family is undoubtedly a factor in my stance regarding political socialization. My mother is also a feminist, and I've grown up continuously educated with issues women face. This includes understanding women are fully entitled to decisions made with their own bodies, and men/people in power do not have a say in how women conduct their lives. This is likely is a reason for my pro-choice belief when it comes to abortion rights, a perspective my mom herself holds.

People are heavily influenced by their environment and personal experiences so being a person with intersectionality identities, growing up in major cities with diverse surrounds of people, and already Democratic, liberal-leaning family members, are for sure primary reasons for my political stance. The same goes for those who are raised with inherent social privilege, being surrounded by others with conservative, Republican values. What we grow up and develop surrounded by, shapes our outlooks on the world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interest Groups in Amerikkka

Political Parties!